Script for assigning SharePoint Licenses to Office365

Adding SharePoint licenses to Office 365 can be a bit tricky.

If you add the E3 license, you get EVERYTHING that comes with E3, if that’s what you need, great, but what if you ONLY want SharePoint, and not Lync, email, etc??

I ran into this recently and used a few resources to come up with a script.

This article was really helpful:  http://www.powershellmagazine.com/2012/04/23/provisioning-and-licensing-office-365-accounts-with-powershell/

As was some script work by an awesome guy I work with named Chris.

The tricky thing here is you can’t directly grant just a SharePoint license in MSOL E3…

You have to do it subtractively.

Let me explain…..

Say you have 3 letters, A, B & C

You might expect to add a license for b like this:

Add-license -option B

It doesn’t work that way. (At least not in 2015 when I wrote this)

Instead you have to say:

Add-License -disable A C

No problem you say.

“I’ll just add code to disable A C”

That’s great, until….

Microsoft adds Option D

Now, when you try

Add-License -disable A C

You’ve just assigned a B and D license, when you only wanted to assign a B license.

Now you see the issue….

The solution is not too hard – we can pull a list of all options available, remove the one we want, and then build the disable list from that.

This way we won’t get caught when Microsoft springs options EFGHI on us.

The full script is below.

Note: there are some unused functions in the script for setting a password – if you have brand new users to Office 365, they may never have used their identity and will need the password reset and sent to them, if that’s the case, just add the call to Reset-Password -upn $upn at the appropriate place(s)

Here’s the script:

 

Leave a Reply