Tag Archives: AD

Active Directory Migration Woes (Part 1)

The company I work for is undergoing a very long Active Directory migration project.
The result of which has included duplicate users in multiple domains, issues with Sid History, users not showing up in SharePoint, etc…

We’ve tried lots of things to work around the state of AD and one article was pretty critical for us:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/craigf/archive/2012/10/15/sharepoint-and-sid-history-not-playing-well-together.aspx

The true gem of the article isn’t the article itself, it’s in the comments from Brandon on the 17th of May 2013:

This is covered in the August 2012 CU (Note, this is also part of 2010SP2) … when you run this command: STSADM -o setproperty -pn HideInactiveProfiles -pv true it will bypass disabled accounts and query the active domain.

(Interestingly, that propertyname doesn’t show up when you invoke help on STSADM -o getproperty)

For some more background on what we did,

Our AD team made copies of all user accounts from “OLDDOMAIN” to “NEWDOMAIN” these copies also included “SidHistory” When this happened what we observed was it became impossible on SP2013 to pick an “OLDDOMAIN\user” – they would only show under “NEWDOMAIN\user” – since our accounts were migrated, but the users themselves were not yet using the migrated accounts (they were still logging on as “OLDDOMAIN\user”) this created a huge problem for the SharePoint team, and thousands of SharePoint users.

Part of the solution was that article, and the other part, was that the AD Team moved the duplicated accounts In “NEWDOMAIN” to a “Holding” Organizational Unit (OU) within AD (that OU was still in NEWDOMAIN), they then asked us for the service accounts we use for SharePoint and Denied access to that OU for those accounts.

The net effect of all of this work is that SharePoint 2013 now behaves as it would if there were not duplicated accounts on our domain. When we search a user, they only show up once, and from the “correct” users domain.

Now eventually, the AD team is going to ask users to start using the accounts in the “NEWDOMAIN” -when this happens, they will pull the account OUT of the “Holding” OU, making them visible to SharePoint, and they will also deactivate the old account in “OLDDOMAIN” which would prevent duplicates from showing up.

All the credit for this solution goes to the AD team I work with for the “Holding” OU and related permissions work, and also to Craig Forester for the Blog post with the original workaround and to Brandon Ryan for posting the property name. I’ve documented it here because it’s been so impactful for us, and wanted to be sure I had a permanent reference in case the original article is ever moved.

-Jack

Using Powershell to get a list of user IDs from AD

One of my network admin friends needed an easy way to provide some users with a list of names vs AD account names.

In many organizations, this is easy to guess, for example if my name is  Jack Basement, my id might be jbasement, but in this case, it wasn’t that easy so we needed to go to AD.

There are AD cmdlets, but they are not in powershell by default.

If you have the Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 installed, then you’ll find a link to “Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell” in your administrator tools menu.

 

Using that we can easily get a list of the users needed and select just the columns we want

for example

We can combine that with the select statement such as this:

Which gives us a nice list

and

which will out put it as a comma separated CSV (Perfect for importing into Excel)

and

which outputs the same thing, but to a file.

 

Now one neat trick, is that often you want to output all the users of a group in AD (technically this is called an Organizational Unit, or OU)

There is an LDAP filter type we can use for this

Whats cool here is that LDAP filters are sometimes a pain to get “just right” so we can cheat:

We can use the distinguished name of a known user in that group and grab the group from that

so for example

results in a bunch of output, the first field is the distingished name and we can copy and paste that for our next command

this outputs all the users in that OU

again we can chain for flexibility

 

Lastly don’t forget get-help

shows a few good examples.